Student Support System
HOMEStudent Support System
Grant-Type Scholarship System (Starting April 2019)
At Osaka University, students of the Program for Leading Graduate Schools are eligible for a support program under which the University provides scholarships based on student applications and a screening process. The scholarship fund is not taxed, because it is considered non-taxable income on the grounds that it falls under the category of “money and valuables with which a person is provided to cover school expenses.”
For the 2023–2024 academic year, the monthly amount is ¥60,000.
Please note that this amount may decrease in the future, or there may be other changes to the specifics of the system, because this system takes into account the University’s financial situation and other circumstances each year.
Additionally, eligibility to receive the grant-type scholarship is limited to students who meet all of the following criteria for the relevant academic year:
- Those who are not currently on a leave of temporary absence.
- Those who have not received any research fellowships (DC) from the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science.
- Those who have not received a Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship as a Japanese Government Scholarship Student.
- Those who have not received any grant-type scholarships of more than ¥100,000 per month.
Tuition Fee Exemption Program (Starting April 2019)
Osaka University offers a Tuition Fee Exemption Program for students in the University’s Program for Leading Graduate Schools. Eligibility for the Tuition Fee Exemption Program is limited to students of the Program who are enrolled in the doctor course (limited to students within the standard duration of degree completion) with excellent academic performance, and who meet all of the following criteria for both the spring and summer terms and the fall and winter terms (hereafter the “Relevant Terms”), and who have been recommended by the person in charge of the Program.
- Those who have not exceeded the standard duration of degree completion (leaves of temporary absence do not count toward the standard duration) for their graduate school.
- Those who have not discontinued their studies within the Program for the Relevant Terms.
- Those who, outside of this system, have not received an exemption from tuition fees, nor are subject to measures for non-payment of tuition fees, for the Relevant Terms.
- Those who have not received any financial support such as scholarships for the purpose of paying tuition fees, for the Relevant Terms.
Please note that there may be changes to the specifics of the system in the future, because this system takes into account the University’s financial situation and other circumstances each academic year.
Expenses for Internships
In addition to the scholarships described above, additional support is provided for expenses for the domestic and international internships offered by the Program.